Can't seem to turn off automatic .toc generation

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:04 AM
I'm trying to port an existing mod to work in AddOn Studio, but the one hurdle I can't get over is that the .toc file for my mod is generated for me. This won't work for me, as my files need to be loaded in a set order. Including a .toc file in the project files doesn't seem to help, as the file ordering I specify in my .toc seems to be ignored. I tried ## X-AutoGenerated: false, but that also didn't seem to do anything. Is there a way to prevent AddOn Studio from automatically generating a .toc file? I want to make mine myself.
Dec 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM
I think I read somewhere that they will be implimenting the ability to disable the toc autogeneration, but right now you can't.

My suggestion would be to let it autogenerate then modify it to the way you want it then save that toc file to somewhere else until you are done using Addon Studio to write the rest of your mod. Then dump your modified toc into the folder for testing and final release. Thankfully the toc file is the easiest part of a mod so at the moment it's not a big deal to create your own toc to replace the autogenerated one; just a little annoying. It'd be nice to have the ability to modify the toc directly in Addon Studio.
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2007 at 4:43 AM
Hey guys, I've added two feature requests in Issue Tracker to track what you're looking for

Please feel free to comment on those items and of course vote for us to implement them.

Cheers,
-Levitan
Dec 21, 2007 at 8:46 PM
In the meantime, I've found that mucking around with the MSBuild targets file (C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\WowAddonStudio\1.0\WowAddonStudio.targets) gets me most of what I'm looking for. Basically, I've disabled all of the tasks that care about whether or not something is a .toc file, except for the first CreateItem task, for which I've just removed the condition "is this anything except a TOC?". Now, when I build, MSBuild never runs the TOC generation task, and my custom .toc gets copied over just like every other file. Short of simply being able to edit the live versions of my mod files instead of having to maintain two separate copies (I submitted a feature request for that), this gets me what I want, albeit hackily.
Dec 21, 2007 at 8:49 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2007 at 8:50 PM
Allow projects to point to "live" mods instead of a separate copy:
http://www.codeplex.com/WarcraftAddOnStudio/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=727