Help with coding this small addon

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I run a truly private server, only me and my fiance play on it with our friends. We want to create an addon to stream along some of the features of having a private server.

My question is can someone help me, or do for me, create an addon that will set your standing for a specific faction.

All it needs to have is an input box for a few numbers and the buttons to set the standing and minimize/close to window.

On my server the code would go into the chat window as follows:

.char setstanding XXX 100000

"Char" Lets the server know i want to change the character

"Setstanding" Lets the server know i want to change the standing for a faction

"XXX" is the faction ID number (i.e. Undercity, Thunder Bluff)

And the "100000" is the amount to rise the played to "Exalted" status.

I just dont know how to make the button get the numbers from the editbox and transform it into the command .char setstanding 989 100000, or whatever I put in the textbox.

Any input is welcome that can help me do this. I will not be publishing the code or the addon for anyone else to use, just in case that would be a question.

Thank You in advance

Eric

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Sorry, we don't have bandwidth to help addon developers and running private servers is a violation of the Blizzard Terms of Use.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:49 PM

oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was a discussion forum for Addon Studio For World of Warcraft ver 2.0? The banner at the top of this page really confused me as to what it was about, or I guess you could have not answered the question. Or deleted it? No need for the additude. I guess if I cared about what Blizzard wanted, or was running a public server, I would be more concerned. I do maintain a subscription to my Battle.net account, this is just something fun to do when I not playing on a server populated with jerks and assholes looking for handouts and help all the time. I would have expected more from someone who has a title on the website, not very classy. I will go elsewhere for my needs, but take my advice in the future. As a first time user of this site and a new developer, regurdless of the nature of the question, you did not make this experience a good one. Try holding yourself to a little higher standard. It will help you in every day life as well as on the internet.

Good Day.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM

@plars: You asked everyone who passes this thread to support you breaking WoW's EULA.

It doesn't matter if you enjoy been a software pirat or not, just don't blame it on those who are willing to stick

to the law.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Pirate? I paid for a retail copy of the game, and the expansions for that matter. The software that creates the abiltity to connect to your own network, instead of the Blizzard network, is open-source. There is no pirating involved. As the process may be illegal, according to Blizzard, I am only doing with the game what it is intended to do.  Loads into RAM, and displays an image or several per second. And, upon looking through the EULA in its entirity, it is not illegal to run the game locally only "in a means the makes "The Game" publically available without Blizzards prior concent. " Make sure you know your terminology and for that matter what you are talking about before you accuse someone of being a pirate, that is a serious offence. As my original post stated, "I run a truly private server, only me and my fiance play on it with our friends.", and I do not and woud not pride myself in theft of any kind. This is not to argue with random people on the internet, but a rebuttle. As for sticking out for the law, I am a police officer, its what I do on a daily, hourly basis. This was for entertainment only, but now its a whole big deal. Could someone just not answer the quesion? I'll bet the two of you would not be so harsh if there was someone pointing a gun at you of you or walking in on someone beating his wife. Being an ass in the internet takes as much courage as sneezing in public. It takes real balls to do what I do, so maybe the next time you don't know the answer to a question, just leave it alone and think twice about accusing someone of an illegal act, or benig a royal ass. I won't respond to this thread any more. Its a waste of time and energy and clearly full of people who don't know anything about anything. I think there is a word for that, "trool"?

Good Luck Gentemen ,in life, you will need it.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Calling someone a pirate is not a serious offence, get off your high horse.

I do agree with you in some aspects with regards to piracy that the term "pirate" is someone who reverse engineers and/or publicly makes available illegal distrubution of the product and since you are not reverse engineering the game content or distributing any of its content then its safe to say your not breaking the law in the courts eyes.  However, you are infact breaking Blizzards terms of play and if such software is found on your system when Warden does its random scan then you will lose your account, simple.   You should be supporting Blizzard who are the ones who brought you this wonderful game to your desktop.

For a police officer your writing style needs improvement.. wheres the paragraphs for example.  Furthermore, your attitude towards others for a police officer is discusting, your meant to be setting an example to others.