Which version is needed?

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM

hey,

I know wow addonstudio is awesome so i tried to reinstall wow to get the addonstudio running.

I'm now at 3.2.0 but the visual desginer is still not working...

so which wow version is needed that the visul designer is working?

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM

nobody knows which version is needed?

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

As far as v1 and v2 go... The v2 beta stopped working pretty far back as far being able to read the game content.  The problems are the location of the files, the file names, and the content file format. There are also issues wiht how the files are opened.  Some of this is not so good no matter which version of wow you are trying to use.  You need to make sure that the alternate files are not in a protected area of the file system, like program files, as UAC is preventing it form opening for write as v1 and v2 effectivey try to open for write.  Anything 4.0 will have issues for sure as the format changed.  Alternativly you can download the blizzard toolkit and point aos to there or litter your wow install wiht them.  You stil won't get fonts; those and lots of other things are not delivered with the toolkit. Also, I don't believe that blizzard supports unpacking the files anymore; you used to be able to DL a tool from blizzard that woudl unpack certain things from your mpq files, which is why it was called a toolkit originally.  Now they just let you DL those things and no more tool, officially.

----

There is actually a new version.  http://www.wowwiki.com/AddOn_Studio_2010

I write addons too.  Maybe three weeks ago it froze while i was hovering over text, which it does contantly, and i think I remember muttering to myself.. thats it, thats the last g*d d*mn time.  And I went and nealy completely overhauled it.  The new version uses VS 2010 isolated shell, hence the name.