Error Message "Requested registry access not allowed"

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:26 AM
I have just recently installed Addon Studio and whenever I try to create a new file an error message comes up saying, "Requested registry access not allowed". I have searched far and wide for a solution on the internet and even talked to my uncle who is IT for Irving Oil, and yet I have still drawn a blank. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
May 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Edited May 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM
sorry for my english...

It depends from a bug in VS2008 Express Edition base package used to build WOW Addon.

The problem is in windows registry , WOW Addon can't open the key located at HKEYCLASSESROOT\WowAddonStudio Project File

so you have to grante access to this key using these steps:

download subinacl from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#Overview

and install it.

then create a text file named vs2008fix.cmd and save it in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

open this text file and write :
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\ /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\ /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\ /grant=users=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\ /setowner=users
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\ /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\ /setowner=system
save the file and run it from shell.

now this command are to much permissive , better is restrict grant and ownership to only one key such as:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\WowAddonStudio Project File /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\WowAddonStudio Project File /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\WowAddonStudio Solution File /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEYCLASSESROOT\WowAddonStudio Solution File /setowner=administrators

but i think this syntax is not correct because there are spaces between words of key name "WowAddonStudio Solution File".

If you have solution for this little issue post here please.

restart wow addon and enjoy :)

bye
May 7, 2008 at 8:07 PM
Thank you i will try this
May 9, 2008 at 1:31 AM
I tried your suggestion but it didn't seem to do anything. Should i have had a folder already "Windows Resource Kits" in program files?
May 9, 2008 at 8:51 AM
download subinacl from here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#Overview

and install it.

this setup will create a folder named "Windows Resource Kits" in program files.

In this folder you will find the executable named "subinacl" needed to execute the lines writed in vs2008fix.cmd

Bye
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM
All of the above, did nothing for me anything else that can get this thing started?
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM
I just installed this and get this same error....Windows Vista.

Seems like we're better off hand coding addons and debugging them, than debugging this AND them :(
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM
Hello everyone,

while not directly related to the same issues the others were having, I've posted some information on our installation process at http://addonstudio.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=49669. If you think your problem might be related to this (and Vista/Server2008 UAC issues can easily), please post any follow-up there!

Thanks,
Gabor
Development Lead