Sneak Release?

May 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM
Hello, I knew for a dev it's always unknown, but when there will be a (sneak) release of 2.0?

Greets
Schaelle

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2008 at 12:39 AM
Fingers crossed, as early as this week :)
Jul 24, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Edited Jul 24, 2008 at 3:37 PM
I'm looking forward to digging into this but I'd just as soon start with release 2 if it's shortly upon us...
6 weeks later, is there any update to sneak/beta release of 2.0?
[RL happens, it's obviously a side project, but hey I have to ask :]

Also side question - do you have to have WoW installed on your Dev PC?

Apologies if I missed it but I didn't see that clearly stated, and generally my game and dev PCs are separate ;)
  - I'll still look around to see if I can confirm that, and see what I'd miss by not having it all on one PC.]
I already have MS Web Developer 2008 and C#/C++/VB 2008 Express, I assume it'll just piggy back off those?
  - If it's really advisable to have it on the WoW PC, I suppose the full install helps out or I'd get a free 2005 studio]

Final query [for now], I've seen the WoW book mentioned and I had already been eyeing it -
Does it suggest/tie-in to any specific IDE?  I'm guessing not, didn't seem to per comments.
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM
is there any update to sneak/beta release of 2.0?
We should have a pretty strong beta version uploaded early this week. It won't have updated documentation (as per the spec) but it will be feature complete. 

Also side question - do you have to have WoW installed on your Dev PC?
As for having wow installed, while I'm sure you could get it to work without Wow installed, there are major parts that depend on Wow, like MPQ files for textures, deployment, and the ability to update Lua addons and then reload your console for testing (a very handy feature)

I already have MS Web Developer 2008 and C#/C++/VB 2008 Express, I assume it'll just piggy back off those?
  - If it's really advisable to have it on the WoW PC, I suppose the full install helps out or I'd get a free 2005 studio]
AddOn Studio is completely standalone, you do not need any version of Visual Studio installed for it to just work. That means the only dev tool you need installed on your Wow PC is AddOn Studio.

Final query [for now], I've seen the WoW book mentioned and I had already been eyeing it -
Does it suggest/tie-in to any specific IDE?  I'm guessing not, didn't seem to per comments.

Correct, it's about Lua/AddOns in general and there is only one chapter dedicated to AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft in the book.

Cheers,
-Dan
Jul 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM
sweet, thanks for the update and answers =D
edit - you guys get an early look/any thoughts as to WotLK impact?