Whats up with Addon Studio

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:50 AM
Alright well I have used Addon Studio previously to create addons and it works wonders.

I recently installed the Addon Studio 2.0 Version since I upgraded to Vista and formatted.

Now when I go to create a new project like I used to it all loads up gives me no errors of any kind, but it will not show me the Design window. It shows the color coded syntax for the Lua and XML file but will not show me a design frame anywhere, ive tried looking in windows tab to find it and I cant seem to figure out why. I have installed the Data and Art Pack and copied the UI file into the Schemas folder... Does anyone have an idea as to how I can fix this?
Aug 23, 2008 at 1:06 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2008 at 1:06 PM
I had the same, but what a previous poster said woked.
Uninstall all versions before installing, then install and it works.
I also had to do a registry trawl because I couldn't remove the first installation.
Aug 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Thanks ill give it a shot.
Sep 6, 2008 at 11:53 AM
Have the same problem...

And i am also using Vista...

And i have reinstalled it many times with out any changes... i have even used regedit and removed all entrys with addonstudio in it and installed it all agian, but still it wont work.

What more can i do?
Sep 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM
Im still in the same boat. No Luck with anything
Oct 5, 2008 at 5:57 AM
Be thankful you can load it - mine just blows up with the squish.dll error.

Given that it will not even load, As far as I can tell  WarcraftAddonStudio is just a piece of broken junk.  It will not load, and apparently nobody is even working on it since July to remedy the problem, nobody seems to be paying attention to that bug that prevents 2.0 from loading at all for some people.

Just my $0.02.  ANd hoping someone can prove me wrong (i.e. get it to where it will run on my WinXP32 box).

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2008 at 4:46 AM
Hey folks,

I know it's been a while, unfortunately as this is a part-time project, we just haven't had the time to work on the bugs in AddOnStudio v2. Now that we've had some time to come up for air, we're cataloging all of the bugs and minor features that we still want to get in v2 and ship a quality release. I've added the form bug and the squish.dll issue to our list of bugs to triage.

Apologies for the delay
Oct 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM
Any news on this (the squish.dll issue)?

I downloaded the source to the IDE and compiled it all up the other day, after a bit of messing, then got the error other people have mentioned. So I got the source to the squish library but it looks like you've written a small wrapper to that to expose it as a DLL since by default squish compiles to a LIB and the DecompressImage is using a different number of parameters to what you are doing. It was late by the time I got that far so I decided that to remember how to find out what interface you were exposing in the DLL and compile up my own version of squish with the right ordinals to get the IDE to be happy with it was going to be too much effort so I ended it there. At the end of the day I only wanted to see what the AddOnStudio was like - LOL!

Are there more recent changes that may help that have not been checked into source control? I didn't download the zip, I checked the code out instead.

Ta.
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Hi Guys, you may wanna install the NVIDIA Texture Tools 2 which includes the squish libraries.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/tools/texturetools2/NVIDIA_Texture_Tools_2.04.1016.0025.exe

From
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/texture_tools.html

Here are a few references as well
http://code.google.com/p/libsquish/
http://code.google.com/p/nvidia-texture-tools/
Nov 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM
LaGoderre,

Are you saying that, with the NVidia Texture Tools 2 installed, you are able to successfully run Addon Studio 2 beta? If so, did you have to replace Addon Studio's squish.dll with the NVidia one, or does the registration of the NVidia one provide a usable link to the dll for Addon Studio?

Thanks for the tip!

-iotech
Nov 20, 2008 at 8:45 PM
I actually installed the NVIDIA tools first then installed the Addon studio and it worked. Didn't have to do anything else.
Nov 30, 2008 at 5:39 PM
Just confirmed that this is indeed a solution - thank you!

On a completely clean PC I installed the NVidia tools linked to above, then downloaded and installed WoWAddOnStudio and it installs and runs fine. I've not done anything with it yet but previously I couldn't even load it so it's a 100% improvement so far :)
Feb 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM
This looks like a SxS issue caused by linking in debug dependencies for the install.  

Eventviewer:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft\PackagesToLoad\Squish.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

My C:\Windows\assembly is missing Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT.

Ultimately its either a compile or an install issue.  The Nvidea workaround (I wouldn't call it a solution) works because it installs the assembly.

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Hey folks,

Apologies for the delay, but a new build of AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft version 2.0 is now available using Wix for the installer. Please try it out at: http://www.codeplex.com/AddOnStudio/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22870

If the installer fails, try to manually install the Visual Studio Shell
http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/coding4fun/AddOnStudio/VSShell90SP1/vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe 

If the installer still fails, please file a bug and include 1) Operating System, 2).NET Framework version installed, and any specific information provided by the installer.

Thanks,
-Dan
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Wix requires Visual Studio Standard/Pro/VSTS.  That means the statement:

Does AddOn Studio require Visual Studio to be installed?

No, AddOn Studio works independently of Visual Studio. If you do have Visual Studio installed, AddOn Studio will work just fine.

I have not been able to get this to work on a machine without VS 2008 Std/Pro/TS.

Have filed a bug, the log file says that it installed correctly.  Does not show up in my shell.
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Using a Wix installer does not require Visual Studio. There are a number of open source projects using Wix for their installer including Firebird (Mozilla email), Subversion source control, and NUnit among others and they work perfectly fine without Visual Studio installed.

Second, AddOn Studio is not a Visual Studio plug-in so it will not show up in your shell by design. When you install AddOn Studio, it will add a top-level menu item AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft (screenshot here).
Feb 24, 2009 at 5:59 PM
Got it, now I get it.  Thank you.