Git Support and "the Man"

May 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Removed long rant...

The short answer is that there still are no compatible GIT libraries for stability or license. The non-GPLed efforts are rough at best.

Yes, there is at least one project here on codeplex already, but the one I saw is a VS addon that was using GPLv3 licesnse with GPL backend, and technically violates the late-binding GPL stuffers, because there was no boilerplate exception clause anywhere up the lib dependency stack. The exception allows a lib to be late bound and not "binarially" viral. In my oppinion, because none of the GPL style license choices offered on codeplex have the clause, none are siutable for VS extensibility, incl addons or plugins. This is all pretty complicated but the net effect is basically that using GPLv3 in a way that violates itself effectivly nullifies the license including the terms that grant rights, so the paridoxical nature in this case of unamed GIT which is a VS plugin that cant be plugged in to non-GPL code is no good. So I'm not using or supporting, or certainly not bundling that kind of thing.