New Wow Visual Designer / Studio Interest Poll

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:30 AM
Hi,

I've been a long time WoW player since 2009. I'm also a professional Software Architect and Programmer for many years. I've designed and created many projects including commercial software in multiple industries, etc..

So, having said that, I'm curious if there is still any interest in a first-class, commercial grade Lua / Wow..and other games / Studio? I'm playing with the idea of creating a brand new, high-performance, graphical designer Lua / Wow Studio.

Many years ago, I created a Visual Designer for the assembly language (MASM/TASM) for Win 32 with pretty good feedback. This was like 14 years ago.

Now, I always thought to create a tool, a visual designer, with full Lua support and on top of that that is high-performant, natively compiled to machine code.

This current AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft is based on .Net and Visual Studio. I understand that this project is dead. So, I wanted to know if anyone still might be interested in great Lua / Wow tool?

Would people pay money for a supported, commercial grade tool? If so, how much? $10? $20? More? Or, do people expect to have this for free?

Please let me know by replying here or contacting me.

Thank you,
Thomas Jaeger
Feb 27, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Edited Feb 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM
There is an 'AddOn Studio 2010 for World of Warcraft' at
http://www.wowwiki.com/AddOn_Studio_2010

This is effectively a version 3.0 AddOn Studio including the designer, which is actively developed, and works with the latest versions of WoW. This has been available for well over a year and a half, maybe two years now. I use it myself.
Maybe it would help if some of the pages here were changed.

I have considered opening up the product for donations. Earlier today I was thining of opening beta test versions. Ive been on the current stint for way longer than should have and and there are a good number of fixes people arent yet getting, even though I know at least one part that not release stable.

The long and short of the situation, and the first time I have ever explained why, is that I am unable to put the source on this site and therefore unable to use this forum to host the project or product, though it has been offered more than once. This 'AddOn Studio 2010' product includes source code and assets that I can not release in bare form. And there are docs on codeplex saying that the source has to be released, though they are buried way down in the wiki.

I am happy release parts of what I think are useful and that Im not bound to keep private, but maybe after the next phase. I will try to drop more tutorials in the discussion section here and share what I think is important and useful to possibly save others some work.

On the other issue, charging money directly (non-donation) for a visual WoW tool will be tricky business, in that you will be in the precarious (sp) position of commercializing a product that is dependent on reading the game data or including game content in the product where the least of which will be violating copyright, or the EULA, or both.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Hi Celess,

Thank you for your feedback. First of all, I'm glad to see that you are actively working on it and it is only a gain for the community in doing so. I will try out your 3.0 version.

I understand if you can no longer release the source because of third party library distribution restrictions. What you could do is release the source and simply give references to the libraries on how to obtain / purchase them. I'm sure it would be legal. If all fails, maybe we can work together somehow on your version or a new version. I have some ideas that you might like and that we could discuss in private emails maybe.

Regarding charging for a tool like this, I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are but the tool itself is just that, a tool. Blizzard does allow the creation of customized add-ons and it would only help Blizzard's business for WoW itself as it won't compete as a game but as a tool to help promote the game. I could be wrong. In any case, my thoughts were more of treating this as a fun project / hobby and not to make a lot of money. More like a labor of love so to speak.

Thoughts?
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Edited Feb 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Yes private email :) celess22 gmail

There is also a support forum.

For anyone curious:

A few Blizzard links for legal business:
http://www.wowwiki.com/AddOn_Studio_2010_Documentation#Legalities

Heres one example of the restriction though a bit rough, and is really really buried on the site:
http://codeplex.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Project%20hosting%20requirements&referringTitle=CodePlex%20FAQ

But it makes sense. CodePlex isn't intended to host products without source. Though this may be an odd case and a ton of projects have public source much older than the release. So I dunno. It also says no abandoned projects. So maybe some kind maintanance or activity on my part here IS in order. Daniel?