Setting WowPath for a project...

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM
I'm trying to find a way to set WowPath variable in the IDE. I'm creating a basic wow addon project, going to menu Project -> Properties, and I don't see the general tab as in your screenshots. All I see is 2 tabs on the left: AddOn Info, and Files. AddOn Info has 2 containers, Basic Information and Metadata. No place to put Wow Install path and define WowPath. The right-hand side window has the expandable tree of the solution, project, etc. When I click on the project and try to define properties, I don't have access to anything but Project File, and Project Folder definitions. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Hey Lemons,

What exactly are you trying to set the Wowpath variable for? AddOn Studio automatically detects the installation path of World of Warcraft by looking at the registry and reading in the registry keys which include the Wow installation path.

If you want, you can set a custom deployment location in AddOn Studio by clicking Tools...Options...AddOn Studio...General... and click the checkbox "Use custom deployment location" and then browse to the location you want to deploy.

Hope this helps,
-Dan
Feb 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM
Dan,

I stopped installing WoW when it began taking a whole day to do just that :) I just copied an old WoW install folder onto my new PC, so I'm guessing the registry key the AddOn Studio is trying to look for is not there. I'm just creating a new empty project with the default frame, and try to compile the project. Getting the error:

Error 1 WowPath must be defined. Use the Project Properties window to set it to the location where WoW is installed. C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\WowAddonStudio\2.0\WowAddonStudio.targets 16 4 WowAddon1

I tried following your directions and setting the custom deployment location, but the change does not stick... I have tried saving the project, saving all, restarting the studio, and every time I go back to Tools -> Options -> AddOn Studio -> General, the checkbox is unchecked and the path is empty.

Lemons
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Hey Lemons,

The easiest thing to do is to just add the installation path registry key. The key location depends on whether you're on a 32-bit vs 64-bit PC, locations below

32-Bit Machine: HKLM\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft
Key Name: InstallPath
Key Value: (path to Warcraft install, like C:\public\Games\World of Warcraft)

64-Bit Machine: HKLM\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft
Key Name: InstallPath
Key Value: (path to Warcraft install, like C:\public\Games\World of Warcraft)

I hope this helps,
-Dan
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:15 AM

if u r on vista or windows 7, run the game in administrator mode, and/or also make another reg key named "GamePath" with the same value as "InsallPath" as mentioned above

one of those 2 fixed it for me, dont know which but its fixed :D