message api

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:12 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2009 at 4:16 AM

hi,
i have a really simple addon that simply attempts to throw up a message box in the Onload event of the addon frame.  I noticed however that the "message" function is not available from the context sentsitive lookup listbox.  Additionally when running this addon, nothing happens.   Lastly i tried running "/script myTestMsg()" and it returns nil.

here is what i have:

function  myTestFrame_OnLoad()
      myTestMsg();
end

function  myTestMsg()
     message("hello world!");
end

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM
This may be an issue related to a bug we have in AddOn Studio where the script file for a frame doesn't get updated when you rename the frame.

Example
1. You create a new project which creates Frame.xml and a Frame.lua code-behind file. This adds a line of code in the Frame.xml like

<

Script file="Frame.lua" />

2. You then rename the Frame.xml file to myTestFrame.xml file which renames the Frame.lua file to myTestFrame.lua, but the script file is still named Frame.lua.

Things to look for
- Open up your myTestFrame.xml file and see where the script file is pointing to (typically the second line of code) and make sure it's pointing to your file.
- In that same myTestFrame.xml file, make sure that you have the OnLoad event mapped to the myTestFrame_OnLoad event (the set of scripts should be at the bottom of the frame xml file. It should be something like this:

<

Scripts>
  <
OnLoad>myTestFrame_OnLoad();OnLoad>
</
Scripts>

Hope this helps,
-Dan