problem installing AddOn Studio

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM
After all of the initialization items with the installer, the installer proceeds to install files, but then hangs, and the AddOn Studio is not installed.  I may attempt to build from the source on my machine and see if there's any difference.  I've got a machine running Windows Vista 64-bit.  Any ideas?
Mar 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM
Having the same problem actually, also running Vista 64-bit. Somewhere half way through the installation I get an error stating that there is either a file missing or can't be installed for some undetermined reason, resulting in the installer doing a rollback.
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Having the same problem with XP 32-bit.  It hangs on 'Configuring AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft"
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Hey folks,

Sorry that this failed, can you try a couple of things?

- First off, uninstall any previous version of AddOn Studio you may have installed via Add/Remove Programs
- Second, install the Visual Studio Shell exe manually - http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/coding4fun/AddOnStudio/VSShell90SP1/vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe
- Third, try to install again

If that doesn't work, can you send
1. The OS version (ex: XP Pro 32-bit)
2. The .NET version you have installed - To do this, open a browser and type javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent) which will give you a pop-up with text to copy/paste (or take a screenshot and link to it)
3. Any specific error thrown by the installer

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM
I've never used AddonStudio before so there was no need to uninstall previous versions, although I checked anyways to see if the installer did make something. Installed the Visual Studio Shell, and then tried installing AddOn Studio again to no avail.

XP Pro 32-bit
.NET version - http://www.flickr.com/photos/caladium/3349656598/

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Haven't used AddOn Studio before either so no uninstall necessary. But here's some info:

- Vista Ultimate 64-bit;
 - all .NET frameworks up to 3.5;
 - error is the same as shown in the screenshot Caladium posted.

I'll try and install the shell manually this weekend. Maybe one little thing, I do have Visual Studio 2008 Express (Web Developer & VB.NET) installed. Maybe some sort of conflict? The Express version seems to be a bit "single-minded" at times. I'll also try and install on another machine, see what it does.

Cheers,
Terra.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Terra -

I have VB, C# and VWD 2008 Express Editions installed and I know they work side-by-side. That being said, you should check to see if you have Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 installed. To do that, open up your VB & VWD Express, go to Help...About... and you should see "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP" and "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1"

If you don't see those, go to www.microsoft.com/express and re-run the installer for VB and VWD 2008 Express as this will automatically upgrade your Express Editions to SP1

Outside of that, I'd also suggest the Shell.exe install
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2009 at 5:24 PM
Calladium - Per my comment to Terra,

- if you have any version of Visual Studio Express Editions installed, you'll want to upgrade those to Service Pack 1 by going to www.microsoft.com/express and re-running the installers to auto-upgrade
- If you have any other version of Visual Studio 2008 - Standard, Pro, Team Suite, etc, try upgrading to Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 by running the Service Pack 1 installer
- If you don't have *any* versions of Visual Studio installed, upgrade by running the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 installer

If you still have problems and you've managed to get the Visual Studio Shell installed correctly, download the AddOn Studio MSI to a directory, open a command prompt with Administrator Privileges and type:
- "msiexec.exe /i WowAddonStudio.msi /l*v install.log"

This will write out a log file so we can see why this is failing.

Thanks,
-Dan

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM
I have VS 2008 PRO SP1 installed from MSDNAA courtesy of my school.  For kicks and giggles I installed it again from the link you provided and it's still crashing.  Heres the log file -> http://www.sendspace.com/file/hu4n9w, I'm not seeing anything blatant in it so maybe you can figure something out from it.
Mar 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM
Hey Dan,

Found some time to do some more checking and testing:

- VS Express: up to date - Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
 - .NET Framework: up to date - Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1

Reinstalled the service packs just to make sure.
Installed the Shell (isolated) independently. 

Unfortunately still no joy: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your ...".

When I check the install.log, I see about the same thing as in Calladiums (some machine specific things apart):

*** LOG ***
MSI (s) (E4:44) [18:21:23:256]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:257]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:257]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:259]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:259]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:259]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:261]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:263]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:265]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (E4:CC) [18:21:23:266]: Restoring environment variables
MSI (c) (A4:EC) [18:21:23:268]: Back from server. Return value: 1603
MSI (c) (A4:EC) [18:21:23:268]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (A4:EC) [18:21:23:268]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 18:21:23: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (A4:EC) [18:21:23:269]: Doing action: FatalError
Action 18:21:23: FatalError.
Action start 18:21:23: FatalError.
Action 18:21:23: FatalError. Dialog created
Action ended 18:21:24: FatalError. Return value 2.
Action ended 18:21:24: INSTALL. Return value 3.
*** LOG ***

After which the rollback gets initiated.

Terra.
Apr 1, 2009 at 7:46 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2009 at 7:50 PM
I'm using Vista x64 (german version) and had similar problems installing AddOn Studio. UAC is activated.
In my case, the following error occured:

** LOG **
MpqPath: W:\Programme\World of Warcraft\Data/deDE/locale-deDE.mpq
FilePath: Interface\FrameXML\UI.xsd
DestinationFolder: E:\Develop\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Xml/Schemas
Exception thrown by custom action:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Der Zugriff auf den Pfad "E:\Develop\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Xml\Schemas\UI.xsd" wurde verweigert.
   bei System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   bei System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
   bei System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
   bei Microsoft.WowAddonStudio.Setup.CustomActions.MpqExtractor.ExtractFromMpq(String mpqRelativePath, String filePath, String destinationFolder)
   bei Microsoft.WowAddonStudio.Setup.CustomActions.CustomAction.ExtractUiXsd(Session session)
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
   bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   bei Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
Action ended 20:26:02: ExtractUiXsd. Return value 3.
** LOG **

Write access was denied to ui.xsd file from my Visual Studio installation.

Then I have granted write access to this folder and it works like a charm.

HTH
Z. Beeblebrox
Apr 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Edited Apr 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM
I guess I'll include my error message as well.  I verified that everything was up to date and installed the 3 apps from the download page.  It simply refuses to install, however.

MSI (s) (C4:5C) [00:29:33:656]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=SetupWowAddonStudioRegistryHive,Description=Configuring AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft...,)
Action 0:29:33: SetupWowAddonStudioRegistryHive. Configuring AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft...
MSI (s) (C4:5C) [00:29:33:657]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=SetupWowAddonStudioRegistryHive,ActionType=3090,Source=C:\Program Files\AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft\WowAddonStudio.exe,Target=/setup,)
MSI (s) (C4:5C) [00:30:39:927]: Note: 1: 1722 2: SetupWowAddonStudioRegistryHive 3: C:\Program Files\AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft\WowAddonStudio.exe 4: /setup
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action SetupWowAddonStudioRegistryHive, location: C:\Program Files\AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft\WowAddonStudio.exe, command: /setup
MSI (s) (C4:5C) [00:35:14:540]: Product: AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action SetupWowAddonStudioRegistryHive, location: C:\Program Files\AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft\WowAddonStudio.exe, command: /setup

Action ended 0:35:14: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Edit:  Adding Windows log error information.

Faulting application WowAddonStudio.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x49942480, faulting module AppenvStub.dll_unloaded, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x488f172a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x6573bd89, process id 0x1664, application start time 0x01c9b32537358e94.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:26 AM
Edited Apr 2, 2009 at 3:38 AM
I am also having an issue installing this program.

I uninstalled Visual Studio Shell 2008 and reinstalled with the provided link.
I have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I have noticed that if I run the installer and wait for it to time out during the "Status: Configuring AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft...." section, I can move the error window and installation window to my second monitor, click on the icon on my desktop, and use the application just fine. The only issue is the actual installer as far as my system is concerned.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:
My specific error message is as follows:
There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I get the same message running the setup.exe or the WowAddonStudio.msi
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM
Hello everyone,

while there might be some issues that our out of our control, I can shed some light on what the installer does to be able to better pinpoint everyone's issues. As soon as we can get something to reproduce on our boxes, we can include a fix for it.

setup.exe - When launching, setup.exe takes care of installing all dependencies that AddOn Studio requires BEFORE launching WowAddonStudio.msi. These are: .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Isolated Shell. 
                  Once these are installed, setup.exe will just skip to launching WowAddonstudio.msi.

WowAddonStudio.msi - The MSI contains the actual files installed with AddOn Studio. It does exactly three things:

- 1. Installs AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft (defaults to: C:\Program Files\AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft). As the Program Files folder requires elevated priviliges, launching the MSI should pop up an UAC request
       to elevate the current user to Administrator status. This should happen before files are copied and on machines that are not running as admin by default (Vista 32/64bit, Server 2008 32/64bit).
 - 2. Extracts the latest UI.xsd from one of World of Warcraft's MPQ files and tries to copy it to C:\Program Files\Visual Studio 9.0\Xml\Schemas. This also requires elevated privileges that should be already granted during
       the file copying portion. zbeeblebrox had an access denied issue here, so the logical and important question here is: were you asked to elevate the current user by UAC during copying?
 - 3. The probably most important step and the one that has caused the most confusion. The installer shows the 'Configuring AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft..' and invokes the newly installed WowAddonStudio.exe
       with the /setup switch. This is a potentially very long process and the installer does not hang here but waits for the operation to complete. Launching WowAddonStudio.exe /setup instructs the underlying Visual Studio
       Shell to create all the registry entries and folder structure that it requires. As the registry keys are written under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, this also requires elevation. Again, this should've been already granted before.

A failing step 3 is the reason why the installer pops up a window with the text: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
Which really means that all files were intalled successfully but the '/setup' step somehow failed. The problem of course is that the installer performs a rollback at this point, removing all files previously copied.

This page has a little more information: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex6a2fad.aspx. It states that When you run Visual Studio 2008 on Windows Vista, you must run devenv as an adminstrator in order to use the /Setup (devenv.exe) and /InstallVSTemplates (devenv.exe) switches. 

What we can and will do is that we try to put some extra Windows Installer information to explicitly request administrator priviliges for all steps. While Windows Installer should take care of this, it seems it does not always do the trick.
Also, we'll make sure that we don't rollback based on the outcome of the /setup step, but we also don't want to leave the installed Visual Studio Isolated Shell in an unusable state.

I hope that clears up some issues and if you see any other weird behavior, please post any install logs as described by Dan (msiexec.exe /i WowAddonStudio.msi /l*v install.log with admin priviliges)

Thanks,
Gabor
Development Lead
Apr 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM
I was asked by UAC immediately after I clicked the "Install"-button. This was some seconds before the error occured.

If you wish, I can send you both logfiles (1st try with error, 2nd try clean install).

Edit:
My NTFS-Security settings are non-default. I had set "SYSTEM" and "Administrator" to full access and group "Users" to read-only. That's all ACLs. The default setting, that grants full access to an owner of a file is not active on my setup. This could be the reason that setup fails in my case, but works on other Vista systems without any problem.
Apr 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM
I did some more testing and installed the Studio on a VM running a clean install - with all the latest updates/service packs - of Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I encountered no problem whatsoever, everything was installed properly by means of the installer. I'll run it again on my Vista 64 bit and will upload the log. On my Vista 64 I have the UAC disabled. I'll enable it and see what that might give.

Thanks for the info though, I hope this can get solved because it is a pretty nifty tool. Nice job.

Terra.
Sep 20, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Ok  I installed WOWAddonStudio just fine.   I have:

I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and Visual Studio 2008 installed.

I installed VS2008 then installed the SP1... then installed the shell.exe  then WowAddonstudio...

So far so good...  :)

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I too can't install Wowaddonstudio. I have tried all the previous suggestions.

OS= Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1

Error message

Component Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode) has failed to install with the following error message:

"Incorrect function. "
The following components failed to install:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)
See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\install.log' for more information.

Component Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode) has failed to install with the following error message:

"Incorrect function. "

The following components failed to install:

- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\install.log' for more information.

Log File

The following properties have been set:

Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}

Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}

Property: [VersionNT] = 6.0.2 {version}

Running checks for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)', phase BuildList

Reading value 'ApplicationId' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0'

Unable to read registry value

Not setting value for property 'VisualStudio'

The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)':

Running checks for command 'VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe'

Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VisualStudio' was not defined

Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false

Skipping FailIf because Property 'Version9x' was not defined

Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.00': false

Result of checks for command 'VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe' is 'Install'

'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)' RunCheck result: Install Needed

EULA for components 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)' was accepted.

Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\"

Downloading files to "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\"

(10/06/09 11:15:32 AM) Downloading 'VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe' from 'http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/coding4fun/AddOnStudio/VSShell90SP1/vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe' to 'C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\'

Download completed at 10/06/09 11:20:20 AM

Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe

Verifying file hash

Running checks for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)', phase BeforePackage

Reading value 'ApplicationId' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0'

Unable to read registry value

Not setting value for property 'VisualStudio'

The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)':

Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'VisualStudio' was not defined

Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false

Skipping FailIf because Property 'Version9x' was not defined

Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.00': false

Result of checks for command 'VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe' is 'Install'

'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)' RunCheck result: Install Needed

Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe

Verifying file hash

Installing using command 'C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD4DF0.tmp\VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe' and parameters '/q'

Process exited with code 1

Status of package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)' after install is 'InstallFailed'

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I am also having a problem installing AddOn Studio.  My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate (6.1.7600) and I have .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1.  I receive this error when the installer runs "WowAddonStudio.exe /setup": http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/893/addonstudioerror.png (Microsoft Visual Studio Shell Isolated Edition - Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft.)

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Strangely, I just successfully installed AddOn Studio on my VM.  The OS was 32-bit (as opposed to 64-bit), WoW was not installed, VS 2008 was not installed, and no updates from Windows Update.  It was a fresh installation of Windows 7 Ultimate.  I cannot think of anything else that would conflict with the installer on my 64-bit OS.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Hello, I am also getting an error with instalation Addon Studio. Can you help me please?

Here is some info:

1. The OS version: XP Pro 32-bit
  2. The .NET version:
    Mozilla Firefox
    : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; cs; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    IE8: Mozilla/4.0 (comaptibile; MISE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.040506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
  3. Any specific error thrown by the installer:
    1. Run WowAddonStudio\setup.exe (or WowAddonStudio\WowAddonStudio.msi with same error)
    2. on 1st screen: press "Next";
    3. on 2nd screen: accept terms and pres "Next"
    4. on 3rd screen: press "Next" (leave all default settings)
    5. on 4th screen: press "Install" and instalation take place...
    6. now i get an error message "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft." with title "Microsoft Visual Studio Shell Isolated Edition".
    7. now i have to press OK (only option)
    8. got a warning message: "There is problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."
    9. now i have to press OK (only option) and instalation is rollbacking all the operations
    10. now i have to press "Finish" (only option)

I have installed MS Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition and .NET 3.5 SP1

install.log
The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 5.1.3 {version}
Running checks for package 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)', phase BuildList
Read string value 'VisualStudio'
Setting value 'VisualStudio {string}' for property 'VisualStudio'
Property: [VisualStudio] = VisualStudio {string}
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'VisualStudio' and value 'VisualStudio': true
Result of checks for command 'VSShell90SP1\vs_shell_isolated.enu.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Shell SP1 (Isolated Mode)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
Running command 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe' with arguments ' -I "E:\Games\World of Warcraft - install\WowAddonStudio\WowAddonStudio.msi" '