AS2010 virus?

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Hi!

I tried to download AS2010 from the wowwiki link (fallenworlds.org), but my anti-virus software stopped the download and warned against a potential threat. I'm using Avast.

Is the previously mentioned download link a known virus, or is it safe to use?

Cheers
Apr 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Should be fine. Is same as has been, and that's the legitimate DNS. Which version of Avast? Some warn if not on whitelist and this isn't exactly high volume download :). If it was just on download then possibly because it saw there was an exe in the zip, which us also normal and excepted.

The net net of the whole thing is that there are 100 or so downloads a month and only the occasional concern, maybe twice including this one. Which is a good ratio. In general the plain and transparent package and deploy style has been very trouble free.

Please let me know, or feel free to file bug on whatever else you find or if you want to document with the exact version. The links provided on the WoWWiki page are the only ones that are official, and would be very difficult to change without me knowing. :)

Thanks
Apr 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM
I'm running version 140148-2, released 2014-04-18.

I tried to download it again from fallenworlds, but it now says the website isn't available. Are there any other download links?

Cheers
Apr 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Are you using this one?
http://www.wowwiki.com/AddOn_Studio_2010

Is the only place the official links have been available.

If not, please let me know so I can chase down what or who ever :)
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:06 AM
I'm using: http://fallenworlds.org/_as/_9SXU8/aswow-3.0.40327.1.zip - listed on wowwiki.

Thanks for your time :)
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:14 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 1:15 AM
k :) Trying that one, same as WoWWiki page. If I use IE, I see the Open, Save, Save as box. In Chrome, it will just start download to download folder.

Basically its just a zip file, so that in and of itself should really be any problem. Is there another machine you could try?
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Not really :(

There are no mediafire links? Going to bed now, but I'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully the page is upp by then :)

Cheers
Apr 19, 2014 at 1:20 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Not really. Just the one. Page is up and I think has been. Maybe there's some other issue. As side note, I'll check avast, was Essential, All Inclusive, or Top Notch?

Feel free to email me directly at address on site.
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM
I'm using the free version, so I guess Essential.

I'll try to download it again, hopefully it works this time :)

Cheers
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Update: Tried again, still won't connect :(
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Managed to download it, but this time Avast said that it detected a virus while unzipping it. Not really willing to take the risk, the file seems to suspisious.

Thanks anyways
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Sorry you are having trouble. What was the exact message?
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Don't really remember :(

Is there a log of messages in Avast?
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Ok, I've installed Avast and tried it. The "Evo-Gen" message isn't a virus name, but a marketing name for Avast "Evolutionary Generic" heuristic feature, and is clearly being overly aggressive. The code is prepared clean, and there is no need for virus type code on my end, even if was being malicious. Have been the same files and methods for last 4 years.

Here's a link found top of Google search for "avast false positives":
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427180,00.asp

Hers a page discussion ISV difficulties with false positives and with whitelist on Avast site itself:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94788.0

Again, sorry you are having trouble, and the situation with the tactics with the some of the virus detection software is very unfortunate. I might look into wrapping in a self extractor, but it raises the cost of maintaining this and effectively removes features. I can promise you that there is nothing malicious however, just a stub launching the ISO shell with generic setup code subset.
Apr 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM
I'm reading over the ISV forums now. If they require a fee for whitelist cert, then ill might have to add Avast to an unsupported product list, which would be a first. :)
Apr 19, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 5:17 PM
If I didn't say it yet, thanks for letting me know.

I found this http://support.dataaccess.com/Forums/archive/index.php?t-47431.html&s=602fe4c642c5ca8d58fcd4484c04cfa8 with similar discussion for another product, which mentioned a link to https://www.virustotal.com.

I uploaded and ran the loader exe WowAddOnStudio.exe and passed all 51 virus scanners. It showed that the file was already checked on the 8th, which may be around the last release date, by someone else.

I also just ran Avast on demand scan against the folder (and files) I used to zip the current release, and says nothing detected and clean. Apparently the heuristic is run only on downloaded files and during unzip and is in error, and doesn't jib with their own longer more complete, regular file scan results. During unzip for instance, it flags the DebuggerProxy.dll (this one dated 3/18/2010) that has been shipping in some form with visual studio since before 2010, but not during a scan of an already unzipped folder of the same file. This file, byte-for-byte, was apparently first checked on virustotal on 2010-04-20 08:41:12 UTC and came up clean there as well.

I will never recommend removing or disabling in settings part of a scanner or other protection mechanism here. So as a whole simply can't recommend Avast for the moment, and is unfortunately and unavoidably, currently an unsupported product for AddOn Studio 2010.

There are many other virus scanners out there.
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM
I went ahead and installed it, and it seems to be fine. I simply added it to exception (and it did say evo-gen btw).

Thanks for the help :)

By the way, got one more question:
When I try to create a XML file (thats the "visual/design) part, right?) it just says; "Root element is missing. Instances of this error (1) 1. Show call stack". It also won't let me drag any toolbox items to the window. How can this be fixed?

I really appriciate you taking the time to help me with this, thanks again! :)
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Creating things in AddOn Studio, as with Visual Studio, can certainly be confusing at first. :)

Normally on a fresh install you would start by importing an existing AddOn, or creating a new "project". For you, creating a new project by using the File > New > Project menu, then making sure 'Basic Warcraft AddOn' is selected, and optionally giving it a name, will give you all the starter files that will also have an example Frame.xml file that can be opened using the "designer" or in design mode.

It might be easier to go that way the first time just to see what you are aiming toward. And you can always make another project to start over, once you get the hang of things. After that, you can create new xml files by right-clicking on the project in the tree, and then Add > New Item... in the menu. It's important to note that you can also edit the XML files by hand and not even have to use the visual designer if you don't want to, and that there is a fully capable Lua editor with full project and solution wide intellisense in there, and lots of other things, as well. Ill stop and let you try what explained so far and see how that goes. :)

As for the message, that sounds like maybe just tried to create an XML file and load it into the specific WoW UI designer, without the wow xml doc wrapper, and is unfortunate convention with VS to display error for that kind of thing in that way.

I'm going to put a .7z version of the last release up in a minute and see if that doesn't somehow make things better for the other issue as well, if you want to try it. Ill leave a message here when its done.
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Check the WoWWiki page. 7z zipped version is now available. Is exact same otherwise.

I had already uninstalled checker, so dun know if changes anything.
Apr 20, 2014 at 9:04 PM
Got it working now (did what you wrote).

Thanks for all the help! :)
Apr 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM
No problem. Always feel free to ask. And feel free to leave a support ticket from link on WW, if something seems broken or other issues like one you started with ;) Your are welcome ;)