help with ace3

May 21, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Edited May 21, 2009 at 6:06 AM

hello i instaled addon studio and i have ace3.but when i want to use ace 3 its not showing up anyone happen to know why?ty.

Coordinator
May 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Hey,

How are you adding the Ace 3 libraries? If you have an existing AddOn that uses Ace3, try using the File...Import... feature to import the existing AddOn. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Thanks,
-Dan

May 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM

hello,i tried putting it in the in the template folder and its still not working.is that the wrong place? ty.

Coordinator
May 22, 2009 at 2:27 AM

You should be able to use Ace 3 by using the File...Import... feature, did that not work?

May 26, 2009 at 10:52 PM

hello,sorry it took so long to respond but yes it worked.very helpful tyvm:)

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I'm new to wow addon programming. Could you kindly help me to import ace3 framework to addon studio? I'm not sure where to import it, not sure what folder structure should I include (ace3 root or the small libraries I should import separatelly.

I've found no help about this so far. Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009 at 4:20 PM

stagefright - Would you mind sharing the AddOn Studio project you built with Ace3 so we can make it a download for anyone else, like HOPE, that wants to use it?

Cheers,
-Dan

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Sorry, I didnt mean he/she should share the project.

I was asking for help to actually use the ace3 framework. But I don't have enough information how to import the library/framework, in order to actually start using it in addon studio.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. It seemed this is a very similar topic in about the same subject, didnt want to start a new topic about the same thing.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I have the same question as h0pe. I wish to use the ace3 framework but Addon Studios function list does not include them. Is there a method of adding it in?

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

You should be able to, from an open project, go to the Solution Explorer, right-click and add an existing item.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:03 PM

bump

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM

There is no direct support in this version to get you started for an Ace3 addon specifically. There is no starter project template for this. I can tell you that Ace3 based addons work fine wiht this product however, and that you can create a new project with the 'empty project' template and start wiht that. Beyond that it gets very complicated, and there is plenty of support over at http://wowace.com. AoS, this product, *does* support everything you need for working with an Ace3 addon once you have the basic pieces in place. 

If you plan to use curse.com to distribute your addon, you really need to go there first and read the rules, which are very in-depth and quite a bit to swallow the first time.  You need to do this first, because how you structure your project depends on how you get set up for curse deployments.

If you plan on using Ace3 you need to go read wowace site as well.  Which again is a huge amount to digest.  One of the problems wiht v1.0 and v2.0 of AoS is that its very diffucult to create sub-folders in the project to add existing files.  You will need to do this in order 'see' the libraries you are using, such as Ace3, AceLocale, and LibStub.  However you can get away with not adding those to your project and simply placing those libs in your projects folder using windows explorer, because v1 and v2 will deply those files even though they arnt in the project directly.  You can see this geting difficult already. :)

Try to remember, game dev is typically a very involved subject and ther are times where no matter how much a tool tries to help you, it will get hard.  All that said here is basically what you need:

* basic empty project

* create a folder called 'libs' in the file system folder that holds your project (this follows the current convention)

* add LibStub, AceLocale, and the individual libraries you intend to use from Ace3 (normally you do not include the whole Ace3 library, this is considered bad practice as your addon woudl be huge)

* follow the instructions on wowace for creating a basic project and whatever it says for which libs to include

* follow the instructions on curse for how to package your addon and configure the .toc file and organize your addon

In a nutshell those instructions follow for any addon you create, more or less wether you are using Ace3 or not.

While these guys are busy doing other things, there is a new version of AoS that should be much easier to use, espically for dealign with files inside your project: http://www.wowwiki.com/AddOn_Studio_2010, and supports Cataclysm, and VS 2010

---------

While I'm already making a mess of things, I'll also add that you do *not* need Ace3 to make a decent AddOn.  I woudl say that probably 50% or more of the top tier addons do not use Ace3 as a basis for their project.  And probalby 80% of tthe "top top" tier AddOns donot use Ace3 as a basis.  The problem inherent in one of the core intentions of this tool, and in useing Ace3, is that once you start to use Ace3 you are no longer in kansas anymore, and down a very "hardcore-ish" developer centric path, rather than a simplistic "add a few controls and events" model. 

Basically all you need in the world to have an addon is a .toc file.  If you intend to have a UI for your addon, you need a frame.  If you intend to allow your addon to save settings, you need "mainframe" events handler, for which you need a .lua file that will hold the code for this, and one function to process the startup events.  If you intend to process chat events as a part of what your addon does, you need to the frame and the events handler, although your frame never has to be visible unles you intend to have a UI.  If you intend to process any other game events, the same thing follows. If you need an "application minimap icon", wiht maybe a right click menu, supprisingly, sadly, you are on your own still, mostly. There are libs to create the icon, but nothing relaly to help you wiht the menu. Most of those things are documented on wowwiki, and various other places, but...  Essitially you get the idea. 

If this tool coudl do soemting to help, though it woudl be difficult to implement, it needs to follow Designer model with awareness for addon "mainframe" event processing.  This is basically what Ace3 is about, more or less.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Where is the source code for the updated version of Addon Studio 2010 ?