AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft
AddOn Studio for World of Warcraft is an open-source development tool aimed to bring the Visual Studio experience to building World of Warcraft addons. This is the first release of the project and we have lots more ideas around how we can better improve addon development in the future.
Visual Design Surface
- AddOn Studio includes a set of toolbox controls that you can drag-and-drop onto the designer to visually design the layout of your addon including popular Visual Studio features like Snap lines which enable you to visually align controls. Cannot resolve image macro, invalid image name or id.Lua Code Editor
- AddOn Studio includes a powerful Lua code editing environment including syntax highlighting, colorization, collapsible functions, built-in IntelliSense support for Warcraft functions and events, IntelliSense Code Snippets for common Lua language constructs, code navigation features like bookmarks and Go To Declaration, and all IDE settings are customizable.Cannot resolve image macro, invalid image name or id.FrameXML IntelliSense
- AddOn Studio provides built-in support for FrameXML schema validation for addon developers who want to manually edit and customize FrameXML markup. Auto-Generate Table of Contents
- AddOn Studio also takes the hassle out of building the Table of Contents (TOC) file by automatically building it based on what files are in your project.Auto-Generate Lua Events
- The Addon Studio property window shows all of the properties and events available for a Lua control or frame and enables one-click creation of event handlers like a button_OnClick event.Other Goodies
- AddOn Studio includes lots more features including project templates for creating Ace2
addons, automatic deployment to your Warcraft directory, Task Window, Error List for FrameXML and Lua parsing errors, TGA and MP3 file format support, powerful search-and-replace features, and its fully extensible so that developers can build additional tools and editors to improve addon development.
If you're new to World of Warcraft development, go to http://www.codeplex.com/WarcraftAddOnStudio/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx
and click install. Depending on your system configuration, installation can take over 30 minutes, please be patient!
After installing, select Help>>Tutorials >> Creating your first World of Warcraft addon
to get started.
Visual Studio Shell Extensibility
AddOn Studio is also a great project for developers looking for examples of how to build their own IDE. For more information on extensibility or the Visual Studio Shell, please visit http://msdn.com/vsx/
Kudos and Thanks
This project wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for: Catherine Crim, Shawn Nandi, Anson Horton, James Lau, and the amazing team at EPAM including Attila Szucs, Gabor Ratky and Attila Kisko. Special thanks also to the Microsoft World of Warcraft alias for helping us with the bug bash!